New D800 various ISO samples

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
I think you are kidding us, yes
In reply to jjlad, Feb 17, 2012

jjlad wrote:

No doubt its good but seeing the progressions through the various ISO's the jury is still out for me. What I'm seeing is that at 3200+ there is still enough noise that if shooting something like indoor soccer in a poorly lit dome, faces, arms and legs at a distance will still have enough pixelated skin to require serious post if the shots are to be used for anything ...especially if blown up. These tests are done in decent light ...do them in challenging lighting conditions at shutter speeds that stop motion and things can change pretty fast. Should be fun to test when they hit the shelves though.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjlad/sets/

The clue is in what you wrote.

"shooting something like indoor soccer in a poorly lit dome, faces, arms and legs at a distance will still have enough pixelated skin to require serious post if the shots are to be used for anything ...especially if blown up."

Lets look at this for a second. At a distance? Sounds like you need longer focal lengths and professional speed apertures. Secondly, people need to stop looking at 36mp at 100percent. You're looking at an image that is several feet wide if printed, and on a 100DPI monitor that will show noise you would barely see printed. If you are that far away from your subjects faces will be pixelated when you blow up no matter what ISO you are on.

-- hide signature --

"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow