Why would anyone buy $1000 fixed lens "rangefinders" like Fuji X100 or X10 ??

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
pitraks
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: Why would anyone buy $1000 fixed lens "rangefinders" like Fuji X100 or
In reply to pix_crash_course, Feb 17, 2012

pix_crash_course wrote:

Case 1: F/2 lens with a fixed prime.
Case 2: F/2 lens with some zoom (28-112m)

Both of these are less flexible than interchangeable-lens cameras, and they cost more.

Is the bigger sensor THAT big a deal? Why would anyone buy this over a E-PL1/2/3, for example?

What are the major players in this? Didn't Sony have one also?

If for you flexibility and sensor are all that matters, this isn't for you. It's not for me either. I need a wider angle and more flexibility.

But I've played with a friend's x100 for a couple of minutes and for what it does well, it is superb. The build quality, the control dials, the viewfinder, the lens, the pictures (from what I saw on the LCD), are all top notch.

This is a beautiful instrument that is 100% about the joy of photography. It is so nice to take pictures with - and the results are very good as well.

It fits a niche and it fits it with style. I can perfecty see why people with a certain shooting style want a camera like the X100 and are willing to pay for it.

So this camera is not about the ratio specs/cash, it's a bit harder to quantify..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow