Still love the FZ-50

Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
10kzoom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,749
Like?
Re: Still love the FZ-50
In reply to Delacosta, Feb 17, 2012

I am another FZ50 (and FZ30) user - daily. They are my only cameras and the FZ50 is held together with duct tape but still working with 114,249 clicks on it. I did buy a 2nd hand FZ50 2 years ago (primarily as a "just-in-case" replacement) that had about 1,000 clicks and now has 12,394 on it. It generally stays setup with a macro lens or two for quick shots of bugs and such from the yard. The FZ30 is always handy at home and now has 70,716 shutter clicks on it.

Having been pushed into retirement some years ago any new camera is rather out of the question now. However if a camera arrived on the market with all my requirements (read that as "matching all" of the FZ50's ergonomics and functions along with the past 6 or so years of circuitry improvements) I would somehow find a way to purchase it.

I do have a few deal-killer functions for my desired camera, all of which the FZ50 / 30 have. A viewfinder; hot-shoe; A/C adapter function; A/V output (for observing from a distance - see http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/remote_video_view );

remote shutter control; manual zoom and manual focus; quick and easy controls for the aperture and shutter settings; and an articulate LCD. My LCD requirement can be a sticky problem as I really can not stand the side-flip design. Naturally cost is always a limitation.

As for the lens range, I am happy with my current 35 to 420mm. Don't get me wrong; if money was no object I would have a 600mm on a gimbal with the latest FF dslr. And something a little wider than 35mm would be nice but I purchased, in my FZ20 days, the Canon TL-55; Olympus TCON-14B; Olympus C-210; Olympus TCON-17; and Raynox R-2020 PRO teleconverters and the only one I have used on a rare occasion in the past 4 years is the TL-55. The rest sit in the closet since my interest has focused on the macro/micro world.

I finally gave up hope on pani a couple of years ago, and now always check out any new releases; and buy the occasional lottery ticket. ; )

-- hide signature --

(Remember -- photography, is art, is subjective.)

• You can't see the forest when you sneeze. Visit my galleries if you please, at http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/galleries

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow