is the Sigma SD1 now the best camera in the world at the approx $2000 price point ?

Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grzesiek Maj
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma SD1 $2299 vs I bought 5DmkII under $2000
In reply to SandyF, Feb 17, 2012

SandyF wrote:

Roger wrote:

Greetings Everyone

No, I wouldn't buy a Canon 5DmII old gear, out dated, but the SD1 is over a year old what's going to happen when Canon and Sony show their new Flagships and at what price??

Well, I DID just buy a Canon 5DII ... for less than the reduced price SD1 or SD1M...
it's the Canon lenses which have definitely cost me more than the camera body!

Am I sorry? Not really, but I did think ruefully of my timing. However, I haven't shot the SD1 but my guess is that it's still not the greatest for indoor, high ISO photos; these are part of what I often take, note for fun, not for sale or commercially. In a sense the 5DII replaced my Pentax K20D which I gave to son-in-law and daughter.

What I sought/seek in the replacement of my 'main DLSR' SD14 (though I've kept it) and K20D is above all, resolution, fine detail capture, sheer MPs. Why? For landscape detail when I get the weather here in VA or later this year on some trips out west; also for the ability to crop. I'm going kind of crop-crazy with the 5DII. I can shoot it indoors at ISO 1600 and crop heavily yet still have a workable photo (see examples on my flickr link).

Why are you not doing panoramas, if you are doing landscapes and croping them later. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1040743@N20/pool/

Grzesiek Maj's gear list:Grzesiek Maj's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma SD14 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow