Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pbvascon2
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Why I returned the Fuji X10
Feb 17, 2012

I've bought an X10 after reading some favourable opinions in this forum and elsewhere. I really, really wanted to keep it as I liked the size, handling and great image quality. Although I heard about the "white discs" issue with bright light sources figuring that it would not matter for my photographs (travel & family).

However, after a couple of weeks I found that this issue is not confined to lamp posts and night photography -- it can and did occurs anytime there are specular highlights in a scene.

The tipping point was seeing white discs in the casual street shot done last week in √Čvora (that's in the south of sunny Portugal):

Please note not just the white disc over highlights in the chrome chairs, but also the very weird big white oval disc that bleds over the truck (crop2). It is a very ugly effect that looks completely "un-photographic."

Fortunately I could return it and ask for a refund. I'd just like to warn people sitting on the fence that the white disc phenomenom is not confined to shooting lamp posts in the dark (I think the recent dcresourse review might give that impression). If it was only such specialized photography I would have kept the X10 -- I really, really liked it...

Pedro

Pbvascon2's gear list:Pbvascon2's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +3 more
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow