ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,389
Like?
My PERSONAL take on the Oly RAW files.
Feb 16, 2012

It's hard to read this stuff.

Most people want bright, punchy photos. Panny achieve them by saturating the RAW in the conversion to JPEG - hence orange people but low noise. Oly do it by under-exposing to keep the highlights and putting a steep tone curve on the midtones - natural colours but noise. I have no view on which is better, and if you don't like it, change the settings or shoot RAW.

Bearing that in mind, and trying to convert the RAWs, first off, I don't need high ISO, but for the information of people who do, the high ISO (shot noise) looks fine to me . Anyone using this as a general purpose camera will be happy. You lose a bit of ISO to APS-C but, on the other hand, you get a smaller neater system, and you get a system. Nobody else has a plausible set of lenses for an ILC system. So, that's a "buy" recommendation. If you don't follow what comes next, forget it, it won't affect you. This is a good sensor in a good camera.

Now, for those of us who do extensive PP at base ISO (if you don't do that, don't bother about it)...:

No.

There's some noise in the shadows anyway. Push a stop, there's a lots. Selective NR required, which is hard work. Push a stop and half, the contrast falls off a cliff. Push two and a half, the image falls apart.

This is consistent with the GX1 behaviour.

Now I am not telling anyone. That's my reading. I'm very interested in what other people are finding.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow