Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Kay
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
GX1 in London
Feb 16, 2012

It's always interesting to see new cameras in the flesh, so one can gauge the actual size more accurately than looking on the websites.

I was in a big London store today, and there were two GX1s in a cabinet. One with just a body cap on, and the other with the new 14-42 powerzoom (remarkably thin!) and an LVF2 viewfinder fitted. Looked very nice, even comparing the M9 close by!

I also saw the Nikon J1 and V1 - and the V1 particularly looks quite substantial for a smallish sensor camera.

Then there were some Pentax Q cameras in another case - tiny!

Later, I saw a guy outside with a GF1 and a very hefty piece of glass attached. You don't see these cameras anywhere near as often as SLRs on the streets. Looking at the new figures on sales, this could change.....

I met an enthusiast at a function on the weekend, who was using an X-100, which he declared was his favourite camera - and he had some heavy Nikon gear with him!!!

Also, the professionals there were using NIkon SLRs and said (despite one with a D700) that they never saw much need for more than six megapixels in their work - and they weren't getting a D800 any time soon!

Sorry this is not a controversial post on high ISO, etc.

John Kay's gear list:John Kay's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Samsung GX-1S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow