Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Papasha
Senior MemberPosts: 2,139Gear list
Like?
Little sad story…
Feb 16, 2012

Maybe educational too, for some. 2 weeks ago I received brand new Sony NEX-7 body from SonyStyle where I had it pre-ordered for a long time, but because I already bought one from another store, and I knew they were going for the much higher prices on eBay, I decided to give back to this virtual community and send it to whoever would be interested at my cost and replies first.

My post ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=40486557 ) generated few quick requests, some of them on very convenient for me terms like meeting in person and paying with cash, but I felt it would be dishonest to pick-and-choose and committed to the first guy replying - 1aTa.

He was flying off to Hawaii in three days and really wanted to have camera there, so feeling for him I agreed to send camera ASAP and just asked him to cross-send me his personal check with payment.

I opened standard brown shipping box it arrived in and wrapped and patted original un-open Sony box with camera to make sure the guy will get it in a good shape. I emailed him the pictures the moment I sent it out. I haven’t gotten any cross confirmation of sending out the check to me or any other info.

Few days later I started to feel uneasy and after sending few emails finally got short reply that he is enjoying OLED and that camera is amazing and that my check is being sent from home, so should be with me shortly and that he had no Internet connectivity for a couple of days to reply sooner.

So, that’s the last I heard from him in any form. Today is exactly two weeks as I sent the box to him and I have not received anything back.

My wife didn’t like the idea of my doing business on such risky terms from the get-go, but I really felt part of this community and brushed her aside… Now my credit card bill arrived and I have to cover full cost out of the pocket.

It’s not that I feel stupid because I didn’t know any better, but sometimes you really want to do something nice to people and community, even virtual and you want to believe people share the feeling and appreciate such, even virtual, relationships of trust…

Hopefully he will get back to me and I will close this page, but for now I feel really let down…

-- hide signature --

Some of my older work: http://www.pbase.com/papasha

Papasha's gear list:Papasha's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE G500 Minolta DiMAGE Xi Minolta DiMAGE Xt Minolta DiMAGE 7i Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi +9 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow