Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,206Gear list
Like?
Would you buy an E-M5 featured E-xxx?
Feb 16, 2012

I look at the E-M5 and in many respects it's the answer to my dreams: a small/light full-featured body of very high quality build. New sensor/processor, tilt OLED, 100% coverage EVF, improved video.

But it's likely still not optimized for 4/3's lens AF. This while 4/3's SG and HG lenses arguably remain the best quality for the $ value in photography.

Four years ago I purchased an E-510 two-lens kit for about $600, and two years back an E-620 body for $454. Both steals I never expect to match, and partial explanation for why Olympus was failing to make money.

Yet here I am seriously considering the E-M5 at $1000 to supplement them along with my E-PM1. Would I pay $700-800 for a non-weathersealed E-7xx with a slimmed down and updated E-620 body packing E-M5 features including its EVF, finally eliminating the OVF "tunnel"?

This would seem the best of all worlds, the latest sensor and features wrapped around the 4/3's format for optimal use of my lenses and reopening the door to additional 4/3's lens purchases.

What do others think, would this sell? Or will Olympus instead finally solve the AF sluggishness of mFT bodies with 4/3's lenses?
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow