Super Takumar 50mm f1.4

Started Jan 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
pabloman
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
re: SMC (as opposed to "Super") Takumars...
In reply to jpr2, Feb 15, 2012

NO.

Some SMCs also yellow.

I had two. First I thought that happens only to super taks, however I was wrong.

Together, I had two SMC 50/1.4. Both were yellowish.

I tried for around 5 days to UV-de-yellow them, because being yellow, the colors were screwed up. Also the light transmission was rather at the 1.8 level.

After the time I couldn't see any difference, so I sold them happily away. Which I never regretted, as eitherway I didn't like the pictures that came from them compared to my Zuikos, the Rokkor and even the cheap, but Zeissish color producing Mamiya Sekor SX 55/1.8.

So, when I see all the marvel and high prices around those Taks I really don't care anymore.

Afterwards I even found a sharpness table for a lot of Pentax 50ies. The best that came from it was the 50/1.4 Pentax-K lens. However even that reached so-so the MTF values of the 50/1.8 Zuiko made in Japan.

So, do yourself a favor and save the money for an overpriced, underperforming, yellowed lens. And either put it into the FDn Canons that Alupang swears by or try the Zuiko 50/1.8 if you like sharp and 50/1.4 If you like pretty. And maybe... try the SMC 55/1.8 which, from what I've seen is a much better bang for your bucks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow