Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kaj E
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,954Gear list
Like?
D800 vs. D800E Microcontrast
Feb 15, 2012

When looking at the few images Nikon has provided of the same scene shot with D800 and D800E it appears that microcontrast is better with D800E.

As we have learned in the past images from a camera with an AA-filter needs to be presharpened to reduce the blurring effect of the AA-filter.

The question then arises: Can D800 images be made as "sharp" as D800E images?

I did play around with two comparison images provided by Nikon. I quickly realised that a pure presharpening did not give the D800 images similar microcontrast (including color) as the D800E.

I therefore decided to try the tonal contrast (in Color Efex 3) which is part of my regular work flow when i want to add a bit of local contrast to my images.

Here are the results.

First an original without PP:

Then the same image with default tonal contrast from Capture NX2 with Color Efex 3 tonal contrast filter at default settings but at 30% opacity on the D800 image (left side);

Then the original of the next image:

Then the original with Tonal Contrast in Color Efex 3at default settings and 30% opacity as in the previous image, and USM pre sharpening in Capture NX2 at 3:50:0 (corresponds to 0.6:200:0 in PS) added to the D800 image (left side):

The above PP efforts are quick and dirty. Tonal Contrast at default setting with reduced opacity trying to get an image close to the D800E image in the first case. A standard presharpening added to the second image which apparently is not as well in focus as the first.

The discussion in the forum about the difference between the D800 and D800E has mostly concentrated on how to remove moire in the D800 images.

The above was an effort to see if the D800 images could be made close enough to the D800E.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow