Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jindrich
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Something's coming by the end of the month
Feb 15, 2012

I just came back from my pro photo retailer. I went there to preorder a D800 plus 24-70 and 70-200.

My main equipment got accidentally trashed so have to start from scratch, as only my old backup equipment survived. While I do posses some analog Nikon stuff, in the last 10 years of DSLR have always been with Canon. But I have had enough of basic incremental upgrades and ridiculous AF in anything but the 1D series. The new D800 is the 5D3 I was expecting for all those years. I do photo and video at 50/50 rate.

So, while talking with the shop owner this morning, exposing him my situation and my decision to switch brands, he told me off the record, that the Canon rep had told them a couple of days ago that something WILL be announced by the end of the month. This is confirmed. What exactly? They weren't given further details, but they were told it was "5D related and better than the 5D2". He also told me that it won't be a direct 5D2 replacement, as the 5D2 will remain on the line up. "It will be a camera between the 5D2 and the 1Dx" (those were his words).

I trust my retailer, they've been in the business for over 30 years, it's the pro shop for a area of 1mill people, and I got this info only when I talked directly to the owner, after 30 mins chatting with his employes. It's hard to say how accurate the info they were given is, maybe it will directly replace the 5D2 after all. But I can tell the Canon rep has advanced him this in order to prevent people like me to switch (the shop sells all kinds of brands, plus Profoto studio stuff and such).

After this news I've decided to postpone my decision for a few weeks.

I still like everything in the D800 and I don't mind brands at all, only fear to lose "tactile memory" and the white color on the lenses, for the rest I don't care. I will attend the D800 presentation next week and wait till the end of the month. I can get away with a 20-25MPx 5D3 as long as it includes everything else the D800 has.

Let's see what happens.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow