Started Feb 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gitzer
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Everything go on SSD for upgrade?
Feb 15, 2012

So now that LR4 needs Windows 7 it's time to upgrade from XP. I want to add an SSD to my system (built by my geek friend). I am thinking that for best speed I need to put LR4 and W7 and all my photos (they add up to 30GB today but will increase as time goes by) on the SSD and use my old HD (WD 500GB SATA with 16mb cache) only as backup. My theory is that for working on photos, rendering images quickly, that the photos and LR should be on the same drive. If LR is on the SSD but all my photos are on the old HD (in this case, not acting as a backup) it will only be as fast as the HD. To put everything on the SSD I have to buy a large SSD (maybe 512GB) that costs alot more than a smaller SSD. Does anyone know - does it make a diffference to put LR and photos on the same SSD?

Gitzer's gear list:Gitzer's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow