500EXR really not a bargain . . .

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
accupix
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Re: 500EXR really not a bargain . . .
In reply to coffeygrounds, Feb 15, 2012

"I have the F505 EXR. How can I tell if I have an issue with the lens? I have also read about the problem with the F550. Is there a way I can test to see if I have the problem?"

Try shooting an open, unfolded newspaper newspaper with type in all 4 corners straight-on at wide-angle, normal, and tele-photo settings. Simply view the images on the camera at full magnification, moving along all the edges to, and thru all the corners. The sharpness on the Fuji will go in and out depending what edge and/or corner you are viewing. I was shocked when i did the same with my Sony and saw no loss of sharpness.

To test for pincushion/barrel distortion, shoot a brick wall or a slotted window shade at extreme wide angle and tele setting and view the resulting processing 'corrections' on the 'play-back' mode. My Sony has this nailed, but the Fuji was still had lines at the top and bottom curving this-way and that-way.

For snap-shot shooting with subjects in the middle of the image, one would find these Fuji cameras acceptable. But in no way at a the premium prices camera stores are asking for them as if they are supposed to be competing with Cannons, Nikons, and Sonys at similar price points.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow