Why did Canon put beginner features on the 60D?

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Brown
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
Why did Canon put beginner features on the 60D?
Feb 14, 2012

I learned photography on a Mamiya ZM film SLR ( http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mamiya_ZM ). You had aperture priority or full manual. That was it. My first (and until now only) digital is an Olympus E-10 (fixed lens DSLR). In addition to M, AP and SP it also has a P mode, fair enough. Now I'm looking to upgrade and my choice, limited somewhat by budget, has pretty much settled on the Canon EOS 60D. Money no object I'd go for the 7D, but I just can't justify the extra expense. I don't care about the non-metal body, and having never used an EOS before I'm unlikely to have a problem with the lack of a joystick for selecting focus points. Really, it all looks great. The only thing that really irritates the hell out of me on the 60D is that it includes mickey mouse beginner features like 'scene' modes and 'creative' filters, WTF?

Are there really beginners willing to drop $1k+ on a sophisticated DSLR who need scene modes and other mickey mouse 'features'?

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow