Used Lens Prices vs No Warranty? Convince me I'm not crazy!

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
wihakowi
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Re: An example:
In reply to Leigh A. Wax, Feb 14, 2012

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

The "street" price in the US, for the Canon 100-400L is $1,700 (without the current rebates).

The current factory service flat rate just to examine/check/clean that lens is about $320, & possibly much more if they find a defect, or it needs parts.

If you buy that lens new, with a credit card that offers extended warranty, such as VISA Platinum, you get an additional year warranty to the Canon USA 's one year.

Additionally, any time up to the end of the two year warranty, you can purchase an additional 5-year warranty for about $137 through VISA Warranty Manager.

For me, a used lens would require an EX+ rating, be at least 30% below retail, and be from a source that had an unconditional return policy.

Leigh

PLUS - if that source has free shipping, no sales tax and you buy it on a credit card that gives a rebate (3% on my Amex) you are way ahead of the curve. For some folks, those plus what you mentioned would equal more than a 30% reduction for a used lens would "save"!

wihakowi's gear list:wihakowi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow