What if the non "E" has a very weak AA filter?

Started Feb 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Goodfellaslxa
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
What if the non "E" has a very weak AA filter?
Feb 14, 2012

Like many of you, I preordered both the D800 and "E" variant. As an amateur who has been shooting a D700 since Nikon first shipped them, I love the prints I get, but I frequently have bemoaned the lack of resolution.

The D800 sounds like the answer to my prayers, and the notion of a D800 that is extra sharp sounds even better. The debate over moire makes me cautious, though I prefer to think that my ninja photoshop skills will overcome any moire problems.

Looking at the sample photos posted online and judging by the comments from Nikon that the D800E is only slightly sharper, I wonder if the AA filter in the regular D800 is so optimally minimal that the AA filter only adds a minute amount of blurring while preserving a very high level of sharpness.

I know many of you will say "duh," but if the increased sharpness is so slight while overcoming a potentially annoying problem, perhaps the D800 plus a little sharpening is worth not having to worry about all but the most extreme examples of moire.

I'm still reserving judgment, but am strongly leaning toward the regular D800.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow