The Sigma 19 and 30 - reason to be optimistic?

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
The Sigma 19 and 30 - reason to be optimistic?
Feb 13, 2012

So, we all saw Sigma announce their 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 for NEX and m4/3 a while back, and there was more or less a collective shrugging of shoulders and even derision from some quarters. For me, though, it was the first thing that warmed me up to the idea of buying a NEX-7. I'd previously been completely turned off to the idea thanks to the lack of microlens array and the sub-par lens selection. I wanted the camera so badly, but I knew the glass would let me down. Those Sigmas, though...not particularly fast and not pancakes, but far smaller than all but one of the NEX lenses and, if the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 are anything to go by, probably pretty good. And last week we found out that the 30 was priced at only 199€!

The big news, though? The DP1M and DP2M. The two new cameras rather obviously use modified versions of the two new lenses, and in fact it looks like the new lenses are actually modified versions of the new DP lenses. This is fantastic news! Why? Because those new Foveon sensors are more demanding than anything out there bar the new D800/e. They're 15mp crammed into an APS sensor on which every photosite equates to a single pixel in the final image. It's a sensor that, judging by the samples out there so far from SD1 users, makes even "quite good" lenses look bad. Any softness, any CA, any flaw at all becomes scream-in-your-face obvious. Which means that the two new lenses need to have been designed to be spectacular. So yeah, they might not be super fast or super small, but there's every chance that they'll blow us away on the sharpness front.

My only worry is that, given that the Foveon is a 1.7x crop sensor and the NEX's is 1.5, we'll get disappointing corner performance on NEX. Hope not though!

Nikon D800 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma SD1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow