A77 - First Impression from New User

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
CodySLC
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Re: seems is the right word ;)
In reply to TrojMacReady, Feb 13, 2012

The amount of pixels or the size of pixels doesn't matter much for a sensor of a given size , when just looking at noise. If you compare pixel vs pixel from the A77 and A700, you'll see more noise in the former. But we don't shoot pixels, we shoot images and it is often overlooked that more pixels compensates in this regard to get similar noise levels at an image level . Compare the images at equal output size instead, regardless which size, in print or on screen. Make sure exposures (F stop, shutterspeed, brightness) are the same too. You will see the A77 does better (despite the mirror that takes about half a stop) Guaranteed!

So when light allows it, you can print/display larger thanks to the extra detail, when light levels are low, you have a noise performance that is still a bit.better at a given display size.

This is exactly right. I thought the same thing as the OP about my A77 at first, but when I did a direct comparison between A700, A55 and A77, I learned that the A77 is just slightly better than the A55 which is significantly better than the A700. You just have to apply more NR to the A77 image than you're used to with the A700, but AT OUTPUT SIZE the A77 is 2/3 - 1 stop superior to the A700 in noise at comparable detail levels.

That was the thing that took me a little while to learn.. apply more NR then look at output size. DON'T PIXEL PEEP, it is so pointless.

CodySLC's gear list:CodySLC's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow