MFA and the Sigma 50mm 1.4

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
cambomj
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
Re: MFA and the Sigma 50mm 1.4
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Feb 13, 2012

Hi there,

Congratulations on the new lens. I have one with a 7d and it is terrific but went through the same pain as you are going through now.

First things first, 2 feet is too close to try this. Try it at a distance you would normally use the lens - i went with about 2-3 metres, tripod, flat perpendicular surface and a cable release to test the focusing. Even then, I found it too difficult to get right and ended up sending it off for calibration with my camera body which I thought was the best way to get it right.

The report back from Sigma was inconclusive in identifying whether it was front or back focusing and, in hindsight, a lot of MY issues were probably more to do with technique. I've become really good with it now and found real advantages in using the back-button focusing technique.

This being said, if +16 works for you and you get sharp images, then go for it!

Post some samples and let us take a look.

cambomj's gear list:cambomj's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow