ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Outbreak187
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Feb 13, 2012

Hello Everyone,

To start I would like to thank everyone involved here on the forums. This is one of the most resourceful forums on the net.

Few weeks ago I purchased a refurbished 17-40 f/4L lens from Canon Direct Store.

When I received it, I was very pleased. The lens was very quiet, focused fast and really sharp. I purchased this lens with intention that my father can use it in the future on a full frame body as he will upgrade eventually. Right now we are using it on T2i and 50D crop bodies.

A month into use of the lens I noticed that the lens started to give out a loud high pitched noise when the lens focuses from infinity. Furthermore, the focusing became a lot louder.

I have sent the lens out for warranty repairs to Canon Service. The lens came back a week later with the same high pitched noise. The Service return slip stated that they have found no problems with the lens and that they have adjusted focusing mechanism.

What bothers me is the fact that the high pitch noise give out by the lens does not register with everyone. The sound frequency of the noise is probably in the range of 16-19kHz; therefore, not everyone can hear it.

I'm afraid that there is an internal problem with the focusing motor that can lead to further problems. Also I can not stand the noise! It drives me nuts! I rather listen to the loud focusing mechanism of non USM lenses!

I have posted a video on Youtube of the lens and the noise it is making. Please can you watch it and reply if this is a common problem? I have searched online and it appears that people do have issues with the noise; however, I'm not sure what kind of an argument I can present canon so they can fix it.

Here is the youtube linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GVLTJHHRrQ

Thank you

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow