X10 Shoots Directly Into Bright Lights - no white discs! (9 img)

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,466Gear list
Like?
X10 Shoots Directly Into Bright Lights - no white discs! (9 img)
Feb 13, 2012

These have been posted previously, but for the benefit of those who really need to know, I present them again.

There is no doubt that, under certain extreme circumstances, the X10 can produce white discs on specular highlights.

If I really want to (and I don't normally or ever want to) I can shoot and capture white discs. But I have to deliberately try to do so.

Here is plenty of evidence that the X10 can hold its own in adverse lighting conditions that many owners are likely to encounter at some stage or other, and not produce white discs .

Bright high intensity work shop light with clear glass cover (yep, it's that shape).

Looking straight into a video light.

Please note several minor white discs in the tiny lights on the front of the stage. Hardly an issue in my eyes...and never a "deal breaker" for me!

Yes, you can shoot cars in bright sunlight. No, this is not an extreme example, but it does show a wide area that has flared but without white discs being evident.

Disclaimer :

Please note that I am NOT attempting to prove that white discs do not exist, or that they are primarily the photographer's fault.

They are an unfortunate side effect of some engineering blunder on the part of Fuji. However, for me and many others, they do not normally affect our style of photography. For you, that might also be the case.

Here's hoping.

If pixel peeping or luminance checking, note that some images are processed for artistic purposes, and have had their overall level reduced. The light source as presented might read less than 255, but it is certainly up there in the original .

As an example, the work light in the first image clearly shows the form and structure of the globe inside/under the glass canopy to the naked eye, but this cannot be captured digitally unless grossly under-exposed.

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow