Sigma 24mm f1.8 on FX

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sebit
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 24mm f1.8 on FX
In reply to pete_mb, Feb 13, 2012

I'm not an expert, nor pixel peeper, from my experience it's a good lens.

Bought it as 35mm equivalent lens for DX (d300), but after upgrading to d700 it stayed with me. Both since it was such a good lens on DX, and because I very much like the perspective of a 24mm lens, especially with vertical framing. I've seen better bokeh, for sure, but it's not the worst, too (by far). Resolution is OK, and if you, perhaps, plan to use it for portraits, you should be satisfied.

My main objections with this lens are the way it behaves when shooting against the sun (or other strong light sources) and the size and bulk of it, but you need to accept both taking the price and speed into account.

Don't have much experience with (Nikkor) 24/2.8, as I was only testing it (borrowed from a friend) before buying the Sigma, from what I remember it is much smaller and a little cheaper, sharpness is comparable, but there is more than one stop of speed and background separation less. As for the 24-85/2.8-4 I only remember it's about the same size and weight as Sigma, one of my friends decided on Sigma 24-70/2.8 instead recently as it was close in price (but it's about two times the cost of a 24/2.8... so perhaps this is too far).
f1.8 helps the AF in low light, and allows for great environmental portraits.
--
seb

Sebit's gear list:Sebit's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow