Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,271Gear list
Like?
Choosing ISO settiings
Feb 13, 2012

Just some questions for you technical types. I shoot regularly with the SP570UZ on auto ISO and I note a majority of my shots, especially outdoors, are set at 64 ISO. Now I see a lot of shots when I peruse this forum and ISO settings vary markedly. Most range between 100 and 400, with some exif data showing above 400.

Should I be trying differing ISO settings when I take outdoor shots to see what works for me or should I trust Auto ISO and go with what the camera selects? I think I know the answer, trial the different settings.

Ok so with that in mind, try different settings. What should I be looking at when selecting different ISO settings, especially pertaining to light, exposure, focal length?

I know this might sound silly, but I saw Digi's swim pics and he had an ISO setting of 800 and the photo images are superb. I'm wondering if I chose that setting my own shots and expertise will improve. I'm also hoping that this might help other amateurs out their to improve their craft too.

Thane

-- hide signature --

In between the Hour Glass
and the lens of a secondhand camera
a dog barks orders to troops
lining a battlefield
of posies and poppy,

the diecast setting of a model
standing aloft, aloof
the rain pelting an icy tin roof
suggests the shutterspeed needs to be fast
to capture the enemy.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow