Best explanation shooting D800 about shooting Sports.

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Event_shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
Best explanation shooting D800 about shooting Sports.
Feb 13, 2012

Not my post.

As I keep trying to explain to people, especially sports shooters, the MP isn't about "large prints". That game was over for most people at 16MP.

More megapixels replaces ever larger lenses and multiple bodies. I'll give an example.

I shoot soccer quite often. On an FX body, I need about 600mm to fill my frame with the action on the far end of the field. By midfield, I need a 300mm. and up close I need a 70-200. And I need all of them with high ISO ability. Well, I don't have a 600mm/F4. So I shoot with a 300/2.8. And while this is ideal at midfield, it leaves me wanting on the far end. So I have to crop. Cropping to 1/2 to 1/3 of your frame when you are shooting at 12MP on the D3s is NOT ideal if you are trying to deliver a high quality 16x20.

Enter a D800. Now I can ALMOST get away with only needed the 70-200/2.8 to cover the entire field. This is a MASSIVE change in covering sports. No more lost moments while grabbing a different body. Or shooting on the 300/2.8 I can now get tight shots on the far end by cropping. And at 6fps with the grip, it's faster than my D2x, and the same as my D7000, likely with with the D7000s ISO performance.

Additionally, I doubt you are going to see any new Nikon DSLRs without video any time soon. Nikon is chasing both Canon and a money stream FAR larger than the still camera audience. If Nikon has to charge me a few hundred bucks more per camera, to ensure I don't need to keep Canon gear in the closet for my filming activities, I'm good with that.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=79394&mesg_id=79394&page

Nikon D2X Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow