Flat view
maboleth
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?
Torn between 70-200 F4 IS and 135 F2
Feb 13, 2012

Hello,

I have a Canon 7D.

I'm doing mostly portrait, conceptual and details work. I currently use 50 f1.4 and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and love them both. However I'm totally in love with 50 f1.4 and the quality I get when I use that lens.

My portraits are usually headshots or head and shoulders (kids & grownups) with very shallow depth of field. The 50mm (80mm on a crop) is really the minimum I could use. Too often I find myself too close to the subjects. I love isolating them with shallow dof and going "in your face".

I thought about adding another lens to my small but trusty arsenal, to get more reach. I thought about 70-200 f2.8 non-is. However, I questioned the quality, the price AND the weight. Not for me.

I fell in love with 135 f2. The creamy yummy bokeh, large aperture, sharpness, contrast... perfect. I was blown away.

The downside is the focal length on the crop - 216mm. I do work in the field a lot, so that's a plus, but I guess I would struggle to use it indoors (or maybe I would just switch to 50mm?). However, I do plan to move to the full frame soon (next year or so). So I know that 135 on FF will be JUST right for me there.

Then I thought about 70-200 f4 IS and the versatility of that lens. I won't talk about it here, it's a well known, excellent piece of glass, but f4 isn't that large and fast. Since I photograph mostly people and something that relates to them, IS is not something that I would benefit from...

I really like using large apertures and isolation it produces, even on the good light... it's just that 70-200 seems more versatile, "indoor work"-friendly and more bang for the buck (they are both similarly priced). Yet with 135 I will definitely have to be more focused on what I try to achieve and that can be a good thing.

What's your word about this?
Thank you!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+ 1New
135LNew
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow