Is it possible that - even - an orb-defective camera is perfect for ME???!!!

Started Feb 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoboken Michelle
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Is it possible that - even - an orb-defective camera is perfect for ME???!!!
Feb 13, 2012

May I please ask a question to everyone on both sides of all the debates going on here (orbs, histogram, metering, etc.).

First, please note that I am someone who is looking for a new camera with the following specific properties in descending order of importance:

1) 95-97% of all my picture taking is done posting people/event/activity pictures in the online photo galleries at http://www.meetup.com (social/singles groups). Thus 6 MP EXR mode may not necessarily be much of a penalty compared to those of you who print and often print big. Obviously, I don't really need to worry about pictures being seen at "100%" as meetup pictures are generally only medium sized on the screen.

2) Thus, Portrait and Group shots (skin tones, color) at various events are my single most important priority.

3) Having the opportunity to completely AVOID using flash in low light environments because people are often bothered by direct and/or bounce flash.

4) Having a relatively portable camera that is only marginally bigger than ...say... G11/G12 but smaller than...say...upcoming G1X

5) Superior battery life is NOT NECESSARILY paramount to me as I might only take a maximum of 35-40 pictures at an event...and doing that twice a week, perhaps

6) Having a quiet/discrete mode that allows me to take the remaining 3-5% of shots of family members and cats

7) Having continuous shooting options (unlike the eternally slow G12 mode) so that I have opportunity to immediately discard bad shots due to blinking, bad expressions, etc.

Knowing this now, does the X10 AT THIS POINT become a perfect opportunity because:

1) Orb issue! Since I would be posting online, could I use ISO bracketing to shoot most photos at ISO 800 and up (even 6400) and use a subsequent cleaning on Topaz DeNoise as a somewhat successful workaround to obvious orbs?

2) Histogram/metering issues! If I am able to use both ISO bracketing AND exposure bracketing on same shot(s), could many worries about histogram accuracy be largely alleviated or, at least worked around here?

3) Perhaps in one month or so, to be able to get X10 at...say...$450 USD, which would then be only a small premium over...G12, S100, upcoming Sony TX200 ultracompact with its array of lowlight and other features? This would also make the X10 a relative bargain compared with the soon-to-be-released G1X?

Thoughts, opinions...it will be interesting to see if some people's steady opinions might be influenced by these specific set of interests/uses for the camera

Hoboken Michelle's gear list:Hoboken Michelle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow