ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WAGeo
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Panasonic 20mm 1.7 vs 14mm 2.5
Feb 12, 2012

Hi

I like to take landscape photographs and occasional street photography with a GX1. My last film camera was a Leica M6 and my 50mm and 35mm Leica glass produced a wonderful bokeh I have not yet found in digital (in my price point nowadays!) I have ~$400 for fast wide to normal lens.

I’m bit torn between as I like the wider 14mm view but want the faster 20mm. I guess I’m looking at 28mm vs. 40mm aspect ratio (as I haven’t totally evolved my nomenclature from my film days!)

I have been researching on my own and found opposing points of view here and there. Thom Hogan clearly down-plays the 20mm and calls the 14mm “highly recommended” DPR doesn’t even rate the 14mm and gives glowing review to the 20mm. These reviews are by folks who haven’t lived with either lens for long and make claims with minimal practical experience.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 14mm then noticed most of the Amazon and BH reviews are stellar for the 20mm and just below for the 14mm.

Either seems like a good choice but.....

So I turn here for the opinion of folks who have used the lenses in real world situations over extended periods for some real feedback.

Thanks,

Warren

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KenNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow