Started Feb 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bill vann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152
Like?
Win Home server disaster, need CURRENT disk backup solution
Feb 12, 2012

I installed WHS 2011 last year and what a disaster. Goal was easy backup and restore for 4 computers in a small home business. It has failed at least 4x, adding drives or making changes is a nightmare.

a couple weeks ago one machine failed, hard disk bad. WHS was unable to rebuild the system, multiple errors, too many to note or remember. Net I had to rebuild the OS and install most of the programs from scratch. All data was recovered but with MUCH ado and numerous duplicate files due to failures on the restore.

Now WHS has another error and ALL the client backups are gone.

The machine the server is on has been stable, mem is fine, all drives are fine, I'm just totally dismayed at WHS 2011, a feeling shared by numerous users. Most of my issues are documented on misc server oriented boards with no solutions.

I thought I could leave the server, allow all users access and do a full image of each drive and regular data back ups redoing the image only, but WHS 2011 restricts where users can access, a PITA.

Thoughts on CURRENT options acronis 2012 seems a disaster, Ghost had failed me in the past so lost my confidence in Norton.

Someone suggested doing a Linux server and backing up to that. I haven't touched Unix/Linux in 20 years and really don't want to relearn it so if I go that route need a real step by step.

I would be happy removing WHS installing Win 7 and doing some file sharing access scheme and backing up to that.

help please.

Kindly, Bill

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow