Pretty Much on Board for M8, which lenses???

Started Feb 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Banana Chips™
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
...just bought an M8 myself
In reply to rickmessina, Feb 12, 2012

I bought it through Calumet with 1 year warranty. It is currently under warranty repair because if the vertical line issue (discussed in great lengths on a number of online forums) found on high-ISO images (which wasn't a big deal to me until it started to appear quite often even @ ISO 320 and in dark areas @ ISO 160).

On hindsight, it was a good decision (for me) to get a camera with a warranty. I would not buy an M8 (unless it's the M8.2, which is strangely a LOT more expensive) from an individual regardless of reputation due to the number of issues with some batches of M8's with repairs that could get costly...and you need to understand that this tech is over 5 years old...go figure..

Right now, I only have one lens: the Zeiss 35mm f2 bought used because I couldn't find one new! You have to understand, though, that unlike its DSLR brethen, the ZM is notorious of what is called the "Zeiss wobble" developed over time for some lenses...so if I had the choice, I would buy new.

Now, why did i not buy a Voigtlander? Simple. I was spoiled by the sharpness and contrast provided by Zeiss lenses. It's a personal preference thing, actually...I have a Voigtlander 58 that i never warmed up to because I'm not a fan of the "classic" look of images with lower contrast and veiling at wide apertures..and from the sample images I see the same with their M-mount lenses.

Here's a couple 35/2 shots @ wide open. Not the most interesting subject for a lot of folks but it shows (i think) the signature rendering found in Zeiss lenses.

Banana Chips™'s gear list:Banana Chips™'s gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Nikon D600 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RickNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow