Started Feb 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John A Cole
Regular MemberPosts: 409
Like?
Do You Think The E-M5 Is Overpriced?
Feb 12, 2012

I've swapped more cameras over in the the last couple of years than I care to remember. Like everyone, I've being looking for that 'perfect' camera, you know, the one that doesn't actually exist.

I bought a GX1 only a few weeks back and sold it last week as soon as the OM-D E-M5 was announced. I then pre-ordered the E-M5 straight away here in the UK. The only thing now is the more I think about it the more I having doubts, mainly to do with price. I ordered it with the kit lens (12-50) which hasn't got many fans and although in the UK there is a free battery grip offer which softens the blow, I'm still not 100%. The £1150 for the kit would pay for a GX1 with 14-42PZ, 45-175PZ and the Oly 45mm. Yeah, I'll be missing the viewfinder but I don't imagine the built in EVF of the E-M5 being anything special. Other than that, as size isn't really a big issue, a Pentax K5 kit can be had for not much more than £700 - excellent IQ, excellent high ISO, better DR, magnesium weather sealed body, built in flash, OVF etc. etc.

Not meaning to start a flame war here at all and we're all guilty of sometimes being blind to the price due to the feature set but I'm struggling to justify the cost, especially considering the mediocre kit lens bundled with the E-M5. I know it's all about trade off's and compromise, but at what cost?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow