Trade 5D and lenses for Sigma system? Should I?

Started Feb 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gdourado
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Trade 5D and lenses for Sigma system? Should I?
Feb 12, 2012

Hello,

How are you?
So, I've been reading around the web, about Sigma, and Foveon and all that.
I'm really tempted to go for a Sigma system.

My current SLR gear is a Canon 5D classic, a Canon EF28 1.8 I hardly use, a Canon EF 24-105 F4L that came with the 5D and it's supposed to be the walk-around and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX that I love.

I don't really use the 24-105 that much because of the bulk and weight. I'm just a bit lazy to carry it with me most of the time.

I really like the 5D, but it is a bit old thech by todays standards.

Because I really like Sigma Lenses and I also have a thing for underdogs on the game, I'm thinking about going Sigma, namely a SD15, until the SD1 becomes more affordable.

I'm thinking if I sell all my Canon gear, I can probably get a SD15, a Sigma 17-50 2.8 as a walk-around zoom, a sigma 8-16 as a wide-angle zoom, a sigma 30mm 1.4 as a normal prime and a sigma 50mm 1.4 as a portrait prime.

I think this is a good kit. I just don't know if it is as good or better performer than my 5D...

My other option is to keep the 5D, remain in full-frame territory, sell the EF28 and 24-105 and get a Sigma 12-24 II and a 24-70 HSM for the 5D.

So, your input on this? Am I crazy for thinking about ditching a Full Frame system for a 1.7 crop foveon system?

How do you think the speed, handling and performance of the SD15 would be compared to the 5D classic?

I've posted this both on the Canon and Sigma forums, to try and get a more wide-spread opinion... Hope you can help me out.

Cheers!

Canon EOS 5D Sigma SD1 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow