Started Feb 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yaourt
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
The Sigma DP Advantage
Feb 12, 2012

I have posted this a couple of months ago: Back then I said that a SD-1 Sensor in a compact DP body would make for a perfect camera.

Now that Sigma has done just that I am as expected extremely grateful for them for doing it, really really looking forward to it.

That said, I want to point out the Foveon advantage over all other "pocketable" concepts: A lot more information per square inch of sensor!

Think about it: The SD-1 with its APS-C comes certainly close to many FF-Sensors from CaNikonSony in terms of detail and resolution, but it is only APS-C !!!

This in turn means it can be put into a relatively small package such as the DP, which means that with the DP you get Image quality / size of camera that is really unrivalled by anyone.

The fact that the sensor has "just" 15m pixels also means that the lens in Front of the sensor does not have to be too great, compared to an imaginary 30mpx-APS-C bayer sensor which has 30mpx but not really that much more information than the 15mpx Foveon.

See where I am going to? Yes, as Lenses become the limiting factor, Foveon has a clear advantage because it gives more information per sensor size that can also be used by the lens.

I could never really figure out why people buy a Foveon-Slr, because there are probably better camera-sensor-lens combinations out there for the same amount of money or even cheaper. However in terms of pocketability the DP series is really one step ahead of anyone else.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow