"Real" E-M5 cost may be closer to $1800?

Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dkadc
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
"Real" E-M5 cost may be closer to $1800?
Feb 11, 2012

The lousy high ISO performance of my E500/510/30 had me looking elsewhere, I just couldn't wrap my head around paying $1500 for an E-5 with its max 6400 ISO and truly last generation image sensor.

I'm so happy the E-M5 came out before I jumped ship.

But the real cost for many of us 4/3 owners is more like $1800.

E-M5 kit w/12-50 $1300
MMF-3 adapter almost $200
Battery Grip almost $300

If I knew more about how the 14-54II performed on this camera, I could save $300 and use my f/2.8 14-54II.

If I knew more about the upcoming m4/3 lenses, I could skip the MMF-3 and sell my 14-54II, 70-300, 18-180, 30mm f/1.4, 24mm f/1.8, kit and legacy lenses.

If I knew more about how well that darn EVF allows manual focusing I could skip worrying about buying any new glass at all, and be happy with manual focus on every lens I own...its not that I mind automatic focus, I don't. What I mind is that every camera that has manual focus makes it a pain to manual focus in a quick, easy to verify way...I miss the split image in the middle, the prisms around the split image, the ground glass that clearly showed you were out of focus.

And then there is the battery grip, indispensable for me on my E-30, and probably more so on an E-M5.

I sure wish Olympus was offering a kit with camera, grip, lens and MMF-3. Even a slight discount would get me to pre-order!

I can't believe how much awesome technology Olympus managed to shove into that tiny little body...it looks like an out of the park home run!
--

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

dkadc's gear list:dkadc's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Pentax Optio E50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow