Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bernieraffe
Regular MemberPosts: 362
Like?
Take better photos in the snow - film shot with my V1
Feb 11, 2012

Over the last year or so I've been producing a set of photography educational films, aimed mostly (but not exclusively) at beginners (I like to think there's something for everyone!)

I used an SD700 Panasonic camcorder for most of the early films, and then more recently started using my Nikon D7000. Although I got great results with the D7000, my friendly cameraman found focussing a little tricky (so I couldn't use it for all filming.)

I'm a pro photographer, and I bought the V1 for holidays and travel etc... (and it's been superb), but last week I used it to film my latest photography tip (take better photos in the snow). I'm really pleased with the results and so have sold my camcorder and mean to use it for most of the new films in the future.

If anybody is interested in seeing the film, it's here, lasts about 8 minutes:-
http://greatphotographytips.co.uk/othertechniques/take-better-photos-in-the-snow

1. The camera was on a shoulder support, but there's still a little movement.
2. Auto focusing AF-F and face priority and auto-area
3. Auto white balance

4. Aperture priority mode, but the shutter speed was around 1/60th (I used the trick of changing the flicker setting to get a lower shutter speed). Maybe I should have used shutter priority?
5. Exposure compensation about +1.00 (because of the snow)

6. External Sony bluetooth mic (you can see it pinned to my scarf - it's not small!)
7. Used the V1's 10-30mm lens

I'd say the autofocus system works better than on the (fairly high-end consumer model) camcorder I was previously using, and because I have more control over exposure, I'm really very happy with this system as both a video and stills camera.

Cheers,
Bernie
http://www.greatphotographytips.co.uk

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow