Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tmooney
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Question with 5100 and Video...
Feb 11, 2012

I am looking at getting a new camera body and I have a question working with it in video mode. I need the body for shooting stills but as a working video professional I have some small personal projects that I would like to shoot with a DSLR to take advantage of my lenses.

Based on most of the posts and review this body is not good for video, manual exposure issues etc. With that in mind I have seen some darn good video shot with this camera.

I am well aware that the Canon 60D is much better for video but my dilemma is that I have a bunch of Nikon lenses already and access to others through a friend who is a working pro.

I would be using it mostly to shoot b-roll under very controlled situations. I may want to use it for some interviews but again, under a controlled situation. I have my own audio recorder so sound is not an issue.

Their is so much info out their and I just want to get a better picture from someone that already has one.

Can you lock in the shutter, ISO and aperture manually and go into the live view to see the actual framing? I wish I could get my hands on one but I don't have a dealer near me.

Better to work an external LCD to monitor exposure?

I have video cameras to use but I was looking for something different and shooting with a DSLR and true depth of field is fascinating to me.

Again, would be working under controlled situations and setups but if this body is totally useless then I may consider a different direction.

I would be satisfied if this body was a stopgap for 6-9 months until a newer DX model appeared with improvements. I hate to ditch all my Nikon stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow