Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
TerryAnderson
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Total Focus Misses at Hockey Game with D700
In reply to Nadia373, Feb 10, 2012

Hi as a photographer who shoots smaller college sports (baseball, Basketball, hockey, and Soccer) here in Massachusetts. I would like to suggest that you need to make a couple of adjustments.

First as another poster wrote, shutter speed, it really needs to be 250th minimum unless your really good at panning and anticipating. 500th would be more ideal. Lighting in most ice rinks usually pushes the ISO to 3200-6400 range on the D700 even with a 2.8 lens. I normally shoot 2.8 to f4 depending on lighting.

Shooting sports takes a different set of photographys skills. I know many accomplished photographers amature and pro that struggle shooting sports played in low light conditions. Having played college baseball back in the day. I can normally anticipate what is going to happen and where.

Spending a good amount of time watching the players practice before the game can tell you the speed at which they play at or other skills they might have. So when they get the puck or ball you want to be ready for something to happen.

The images above were shot in better lighting than you will see at an ice rink or basket ball game, but it was having an idea of where they were going to go that helped me be in position to get the shot.

In the first shot I knew the runner was most likely going do to the count at the plate and how the fact he was taking a bigger lead off. Instead of trying to follow him with the camera, I panned to 2nd base and prefocused there and waited.

Hope this helps

Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography
Gateway Camera Club
Framingham MA

TerryAnderson's gear list:TerryAnderson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D90 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow