Focus problem on Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8

Started Jul 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
MTT
MTT
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,951
Like?
Is 1/60 fast enough for a DX camera?
In reply to tdouty, Feb 10, 2012

On a DX camera and if my math is correct that's 1/90 of a sec and shooting at 55mm you just asking for motion blur. I also have this lens and been using it on my D300 and D70 for the past 5 years. Been to Nikon three times for repair due to focus issues. The first being back focus and then edge softness. Well the image is pretty sharp in the center even at F2.8, but the edges still suffers at times if I don't shoot perpendicular to the subject. But it seems I'm not the only one who complains about edge sharpness, it's a love or hate this lens relationship. I love it when it works and hate it when it don't.

Mark

tdouty wrote:

I recently purchased a Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 after reading all the great reviews about this lens. The reviews said the lens is tack sharp; however after doing a wedding, a model shoot and 2 engagement shoots with it, I'm concerned about the sharpness of the lens I have. I'm aware of the short depth of field issue when shooting at f/2.8, but I'm seeing the problem at other apertures as well. Up close it is very sharp, but at longer focal lengths, I'm not seeing sharp focus. I'm going to call Nikon, but thought I'd check here as well. Here are some photos from a recent shoot a model and I did for fun. Notice in the pictures of her against a wall that the focus may be slightly behind her, but at other times I'm not sure where the focus is. The lens is clean and I alway set my autofocus point on the face and on a near eye if I can get to one with a focus point.
http://www.timeseyephotography.com/brittany

-- hide signature --

This is me Post Processing. If only I can get it right the first time!

Full time auto tech, part time photographer. Mark Thompson/MTT
Louisville, KY. USA

Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'.. but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?

http://markthompsonphotos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow