Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Rees
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Affordable FX Wide Angle Zoom
Feb 10, 2012

I've been shooting with DX since I got a D70 way back when. At present, my gear consists of the following:

D300
D3100
Sigma 10-20mm DX
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DX
Nikon 18-200mm DX
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G DX
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 G
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8
Sigma 2x TC

Well, I've recently been given the chance to purchase my buddy's lightly used D700 at a good price since he has pre-ordered a D800. The deal is really too good to pass up and I'd sell my D300. My problem is that I've currently only got 2 lenses that will work on this camera.

I've held off on buying lenses that were over-the-top expensive for DX since I figured I'd probably make the jump to FX one day. I'd also be hanging onto my D3100 for the video and as a lightweight, good quality super-zoom with the 18-200mm. I'd probably also keep the 35mm f/1.8 since that coupled with the D3100 is an ultralight.

I can swap the standard f2.8 zoom with a used Sigma or a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 so that's not much of an issue. I also plan on buying the new 85mm f/1.8 G at some point. The problem I see is with a decent, and affordable full frame wide angle lens. It seems like since Nikon has decided to market FX to the pro market, they've discontinued many of the more affordable lenses from the film days. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent, wide angle zoom for FX that I might be able to pick up used? It will be mainly used for landscapes so a slower, variable aperture lens would be okay.

What about the Tokina 17-35mm f4? How about some of the older zooms that I could probably pick up at KEH?

High-end Nikon glass would be ideal but I just don't have the budget yet. That will have to come down the road.

Bill Rees's gear list:Bill Rees's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +7 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D3100 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow