Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
P001
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
?? D800 or D800E ?? for a "serious amateur"
Feb 10, 2012

I'm a "serious amateur" who's been blessed to have acquired good equipment (e.g., D300, the trio of Nikon F2.8 zooms, 105 macro). I use Photoshop CS 5.0. And over 4 years I think my skills have developed nicely.

I live in a lovely "college town" and shoot primarily community, school, and university events - and in my recent new life of retirement, have become a regular (and paid - money going to equipment, of course!) contributor to a group of weekly newspapers. I've also started to sell some prints and have been asked (for a first time) to take photos of a high school graduate.

I plan on buying either the D800 or the D800E (my D300 has about 125,000 actuations), but don't know which. A frequent message posted is, "If you have to ask, don't get the E." Understood - including the fussing that may be required with some images shot with the E where moire is a problem. At the same time, I'm hoping that my skills will continue to develop and perhaps move in directions the call for the E version. (I live in a location where some gorgeous landscapes are calling out to me!)

Still, there's not much sense in getting the D800E if it will generally be a "problem" for my typical subjects - but the E version could also be an investment in my future development and photographic needs. I should also add that I'm not inclined to sell my camera to get a used one of another version - I buy new and keep it.

Advice?

Thanks Tom

Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D800New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow