Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,149Gear list
Like?
Sigma outlasts Kodak
Feb 10, 2012

Since everyone else seems to feel free to report goings-on with other random non-Sigma cameras, I though I should join in!

Kodak is no longer a camera company. Like Polaroid, the will "license" the name out to camera companies to make sure the name really goes down the tubes until all respect for it is lost. To me, that is terribly sad to see.

It's been amazing to see how some companies have managed to transition to digital while others have not. It's just astounding to me that the a company just filled with previous innovations as Kodak has been was unable to manage a transition to a digital imaging world, but i's also a tremendous warning to, as Apple has said, eat your own products. Kodak was too content for too long to sit on a golden egg and imagine things would be film based forever. They never had a clear idea what they wanted to be when things moved to digital, even though they had some cool ideas along the way (I personally though the Advantix system was a great idea and if they had done it right could have gone far and made a graceful transition into digital for most people)

To veer back on topic, it's pretty cool that a small camera company like Sigma managed to veer straight to the heart of the digital transition and stay in direct competition in terms of quality with the likes of Canon and Nikon, both tremendous companies with vast R&D sums and a ton of smart people.

It really goes to show that clear vision with focus and the will to carry it out can take you much farther than sheer mass and momentum alone.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow