Comparometer: G1X > 7D image quality?

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mannypr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparometer: G1X > 7D image quality?
In reply to dwalby, Feb 10, 2012

dwalby wrote:

Generally P&S cameras have more aggressive sharpening applied right out of camera, so that could explain the sharper images. With minor PP DSLR images can be as sharp or sharper than P&S images. Having not owned either camera I can't say for sure how they compare after PP is applied, but I think IR uses images right out of camera.

trale wrote:

I have the 7D, and am anticipating picking up the G1X as a travel/hiking companion. Out of curiosity, I use IR's comparometer to compare studio shots of these cameras, and it appears that the G1X has an edge in IQ in most of the shots.

The still life images look sharper and cleaner across all ISOs

Does anyone else come to the same conclusion? And is it valid comparison? Or is there some caveats like differences in NR, PP that I'm not aware of?

I thought the same thing . The comparometer at IR uses images taken SOOC without any adjustment made to the images . All P&S camera because of the nature of the beast use agressive sharpening and contrast in order so that the user can get nice photos without any fiddling around of the controls at the menu level. Thats why they are called point and shot . DSLR on the contrary are design for the upper level entusiast who are willing to go with PP and change in camera controls in order to get the best performance from their cameras. Apart from this I must say I saw the images at IR and I was pleasantly impress with the G1X image quality compared to the 7D , in camera settings not withstanding .

Mannypr's gear list:Mannypr's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow