Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrmut
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
E-510 service - good experience
Feb 9, 2012

I want to share good experience with E-510 and Olympus service.

I have my E-510 for quite a while now, bought it after my E-500 was stolen, and just when the model was out. All in all, I've hated it. - I felt it was an unfinished product which almost never gave me good images without a lot of tweaking. I've had all sorts of problems with it, and in the end used it exclusively for macro.

At one point my AF was going quite a bit off, and I ve decided to get it fixed. Camera had some 20K actuations, so I thought 40$ for AF was OK.

What happened is that for the same price Olympus essentially gave me new camera. They replaced rubber grip, entire top plate, viewfinder, battery door, memory card door and AF sensor. When I got it I couldn't believe it. Later, while testing camera at home, I've noticed it works unusually good, and was seeing no problems as before. Played a bit with it, and noticed that they've replaced entire logic board, and probably shutter. Actuation count was forty, or something!

It works so good now, that I wouldn't trade it anything (figuratively speaking).

I've flew it in the plane as a backup unit during a shootout assignment, and only images that were good came out from it (and 14-54), the main unit failed. Not one image had burned highligts, focus was spot on, and amount of noise relatively good (as good it can be with E-510 - the sensor was the same, as I've noticed my good old stuck pixels).

I like happy ends, especially so when they happen to me.

*I have waited a bit before posting to see does the camera really works well. Time trial and many images proven it works just fine.
** Would have shared an image, but the uploader doesn't work for me.

mrmut's gear list:mrmut's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-450 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +3 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow