Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
carlgt1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Dust Problems (Poor Design)?
Feb 9, 2012

Is it just me or what - I am on my southern Cal vacation and plagued with dust problems with lens changes.

It just seems like a dumb design decision to keep the sensor always "open" to the air. I take care when changing lenses but after perhaps 10 lens swaps the sensor is a mess. And this is something that I think plagues a lot of DSLR & mirrorless cameras. Would it have been a big deal to have a shutter close over the sensor when, say, the lens-switch button is engaged? I mean in the old SLR days there was of course the shutter to block things from the film.

At this point I think I am going to just ditch the NEX-7 system and get a nice "sealed" fixed focal length (like the Fuji X100) or non-interchangeable zoom. Thank god I have a Canon S100 as in the middle of the desert without a sensor cleaning kit I'm stuck with the NEX and 24 megapixels of which 300 pixels are big black dust/sand blobs.....

carlgt1's gear list:carlgt1's gear list
Sony RX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow