E-M5 - is the name a guide to the future?

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fraserhadden
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?
E-M5 - is the name a guide to the future?
Feb 9, 2012

I wonder if something of Olympus' future plans can be read into the E-M5 nomenclature. It is really rather close to E-5 isn't it?

I speculate that in a year or so's time, we will see the E-M6 and a parallel release of an E-6, the latter being the same basic design as the E-M6, but mirrored and with a standard 4/3 mount.

Much as the E-M5 looks grand, the MFT system is really geared to small, low weight, lenses. Once you strap a FT lens on, the size/weight saving of the E-M5 gets rather lost. There is no physical way of engineering, say, a tiny MFT 150f2, is there? Or even a 50-200 f2.8-3.5?

In summary, I'm not sure that FT and MFT can be melded satisfactorily, even leaving out CDAF/PDAF considerations. I hope Olympus will run the two systems in parallel. I am managing to kid myself that the E-M5 nomenclature is a steer to this.

Fraser

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow