Sony Alpha a230 "older camera but new to me"

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
james2k50
james2k50 Contributing Member • Posts: 572
Sony Alpha a230 "older camera but new to me"

This is my first DSLR and any gallery that you see is only composed of photos shot by a Fuji F300 EXR. That is also a great camera "to be fair" and I have used it extensively with great results. I have learned all of its features and then decided I should move on.

With that said I purchased the Sony Alpha a230 from Wal-Mart for $298 plus taxes which also came with the kit lens. The camera was a display model about two years ago and since it was never sold, was put away. Over time the price came down and hence the reason for the purchase.

When I got the camera home, I looked it over more closely and discovered unsightly fingerprints everywhere. They were even on the inside of the camera. I spoke to someone who is quite knowledgeable about cameras and they had the camera professionally cleaned.

Anyway to make a long story short I would like to know if anyone has used this camera and what are the right settings to achieve the best results. I am familiar with aperture, exposure compensation and shutter priority but would like to learn from those who have/are still using this camera. Also since it is an entry-level DSLR, how long will this camera last? Longevity?

Regards,
James

james2k50's gear list:james2k50's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow