Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pendigital
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Backlash against the Sony Roadmap
Feb 9, 2012

It was bound to happen. Sony users have been practically begging for updates to fill the huge gaps in the lens lineup. Not so much the average users but the enthusiasts really. There has been a huge backlash of users returning Zeiss branded 24mm lenses for sharpness, bokeh, and contrast issues. The 16mm 2.8 most will agree is every bit as bad as the review on this site shows it to be. Even those that love it can only come up with heavily stepped on files as proof of it's qualities and the beating a dead horse argument that a good photographer could take good photos with even a Holga lens. True but most enthusiasts already own Holga cameras and don't expect their E mount primes to be the equivalent of cheaper Holga primes. No the 16mm isn't that bad but if it can't meet the minimum expectations of many then it might as well be. Proof of the opinion of many is the cheap price they trade for second hand. Of course because of the widely reported sample variation even that is a big risk.

So now the roadmap. One prime that might be of interest. No focal length and no max aperture shown. 2013 (given Sony's recent lack of ability in delivering even the high end Nex 7) that might as well say late 2013 to early 2014. One possibly decent new pancake prime lens does not fill the gaps.

Some comments so far about the announcement on this site that sum up how I feel...

By kewlguy (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:49:34 GMT)

I'm not taking Sony's cr@p anymore. I've owned NEX-5 for more than a year and the only lens usable is the zoom kit. The 16 is pure trash, and the 18-200 is not making any sense with its size. The 'new' ones? big and slow 35 macro, so so 50/1.8 (which is short tele that is not really usable for me) and the big pricey 24 zeiss that performs like a cheaper lens. Sounds harsh? Sony should learn how to make lenses from Samsung and Panasonic! their sensors might not be as good as sony's but as a system they work very well...

By binauralbeats (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:43:00 GMT)
This is the weakest lens lineup ever.

By PatMann (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:37:52 GMT)
It's a long wait for a wide lens.

The Zeiss is very nice and as an only lens, probably a great one. Combined with the 50, there's some sort of system here.

But my travel kit also needs a wide lens with at least 90 degree horizontal field - not a "converter." I see a "wide zoom" sometime 2012-2013, but until I see how capable it is, I'm probably not moving on this system. The "high performance" standard zoom may do as a portrait lens if it goes to 60mm with good performance, but a 60mm or 75mm f/2 would be perfect. Don't they have any photographers working on this lens map?

OTOH, if Nikon gives us a compact fast wide prime for DX soon to go with the D300s replacement, I probably won't get into this system at all.

The NEX-7 seems to have huge potential, but is very limited by this lens lineup.

By LokTo (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:37:25 GMT)
too little, too late... see what M43 is offering... NOW!

By F-onefour (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:31:49 GMT)
LOL

WHAT A FREAKIN' JOKE!

By smolix (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:27:04 GMT)

make. believe. I suppose that's what Sony needs to do to sustain the illusion that its lens lineup is competitive with Micro 4/3. So far I'm quite delighted about my GF2 even though it's got a 4 year old sensor in it. Portability and footprint are unbeatable when compared to my Canon with 24-105mm lens. And the primes are quite sharp. So on a good day it's more than good enough.

By MikeNeufeld30 (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:14:44 GMT)

I think you nailed it. MFT lens array far exceeds that of the NEX. Just on what M43 has to NEx has me contemplating the purchase of the OMD

By dmanthree (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:19:19 GMT)

Too late for me. I truly love the NEX bodies and sensors, but the lens selection is paltry, and will remain so for quite a while. Damned shame. If only I could have the m4/3 lens selection on those NEX bodies.

By smallcams (Feb 9, 2012 at 01:06:42 GMT)
Great. Two years to go. That's what I call responsive!

Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow