D800 FX and DX format best of both worlds or is it too good to be true

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Danga
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: D800 FX and DX format best of both worlds or is it too good to be true
In reply to zoom7, Feb 9, 2012

To me in-camera cropping to get faster FPS and super telephoto built-in extender are excellent ideas.

zoom7 wrote:

I am a Canon 40D user and awaiting the arrival of the 5d3. I never wanted to switch to Nikon before, but with D800 coming out I got curious about it's specs. The only winning factor for me is the ability to switch from FX and DX format. I like that feature where you can switch to DX and have crop factor x 1.5 to your focal length to do sports and get a better reach to your lens or do landscape photography and get maximum wideness in your lens. I know that in the old D700 this is useless because of limited megapixel count divides it to 5mp for DX mode, but having 36 mp even if you get 12-15 effective mp this is a sure winner compared to my 10 mp camera.

My question to all Canon and Nikon users is: Do you get loss or decrease in image quality when you switch to DX mode. If yes, that feature is useless and I guess the real solution is having 2 cameras full frame and Crop. If no, then we got the most versatile/ all around camera that can do everything.

The other additional new specs of the D800 doesn't really concern me, but DX and FX mode in particular makes me jealous and think about selling my camera and lens. I don't own any efs lens only EF 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L ii, 16-35L so I am really considering full frame, but I take soccer pics of my son and the 70-200 2.8 acts as a 280 with my 40d. I will lose that if I switch to full frame.

Please don't think that I'm trolling cause I've been a loyal Canon user and has never tought about switching until this feature came. Any suggestions of all users who used both D700 and 5D2 will highly be appreciated.

zoom7

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow