Ken Rockwell on nuclear power

Started Feb 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
gribley
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: The point about the japanese experience is that you are NOT...
In reply to JoePhoto, Feb 8, 2012

This is so off-topic, but I can't let such bad info go...

We can put it into a rocket, and send it into space, (or even directly into the "sun").

Nonsense. Yucca Mountain (now cancelled) was designed to store the "70,000 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel and high-level radioactive waste" currently being stored in temporary conditions on-site [wikipedia]. Do you know what the cost of a pound to orbit is, never mind to the sun? And what happens when a rocket explodes on launch?

Note that it is a fact that "some" exposure to radiation is actually beneficial, health is better among "nuclear" workers, (and x-ray technicians), who are daily exposed to minimal amounts.

Not true. Low exposure promotes growth in cell lines, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a "benefit" (it might be a response to cellular damage). As for workers, look up the "healthy worker effect".

I worked in the Radar and X-Ray industry for 35 years and I am OK.

My grandma smoked for 70 years and lived to 92. "Data" is not the plural of "anecdote".

I am not necessarily opposed to nuclear power -- after all, coal is a disaster every single day -- but we at least have to be honest about the problems and the risks.

Sorry for the OT discussion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow