Which 24mm lens for landscapes?

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
Re: Which 24mm lens for landscapes?
In reply to fabgo, Feb 8, 2012

fabgo wrote:

I will be buying a D800 (my first full-frame DSLR), and am looking at lenses. I primarily intend to use this camera for landscapes/cityscapes.

I'm looking at the following:

24mm f/1.4 - Probably the sharpest, but limited to this one focal length. f/1.4 could be useful sometimes. Comparatively heavy and expensive.

14-24mm f/2.8 - Very sharp according to reviews. Doesn't take filters, and I use a polarizer quite often. Expensive. I'm not sure I will use the wide end all that much.

16-35mm f/4 - I've seen mixed reviews. For landscapes this would be used around f/8, so not sure if corner sharpness will be a concern. Again I'm not sure I will use the wide end all that much. The 20-35 range will be very useful though.

24-70 f/2.8 - I've seen mixed reviews. This lens does not seem particularly sharp at 24mm, which is what I am evaluating. It's also heavy and expensive.

I really have no idea which lens I should get. If the 14-24 took filters it might be a good choice, but I don't want to deal with the huge Lee filter system.

Another option would be the 16-35, but I have some concerns about corner sharpness, especially on the D800. I'd love to hear from D3x owners of this lens and their experience.

The 24-70 has an ideal zoom range (for me), but this lens seems weak at 24mm, especially in the corners. From what I understand the 16-35 is sharper across their common range? If you have tried both lenses I'd love to hear from you.

The 24 prime of course will be sharp. But its a single focal length. So if I need to "zoom", I basically need to crop, which effectively means a loss of resolution. It's also a lot of money to spend on a prime.

Which lens do you think I should get?

Hi, take a look on the upcoming Samyang 24mm f/1.4 AE UMC. All Samyangs are stellar performers in regarding edge to edge sharpness and flare resistance. I have the 85mm f/1.4 AE UMC and is incredible with smooth bokeh, for only 260€ it performs just like the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D that costs much more. If Nano Coating is worth the investment, then you'll be amazed with UMC (Ultra Multi-Coated) from Samyang for a lot less money.

The Samyang 14mm f/2.8 wide-angle is an amazing lens with moustache distortion being the only issue, all for 350€. You can't go wrong either with the 35mm f/1.4 lens that has beautiful bokeh and excellent flare resistance for 420€.

The 24mm f/1.4 will probably be a lot more expensive but expect very good quality from it.

The only drawback is that they behave like Ai-S lenses all being manual focus. For a landscaper like you that's not a problem.

http://olhares.aeiou.pt/jplacebo

Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow